Saturday, April 2, 2011

To the Moon, Alice

"One of these days ... one of these days ... Pow! Right in the kisser!" 

Right now, this pretty much sums up my feelings on the military. I definitely want to punch it in the face.

Disclaimer: I do not, in fact, hate the military. I understand why schedules are never set in stone- my husband's job is reactionary; because we can't predict what country is going to get dangerous and when, there's no way to know where he'll be in 10 months or 10 days. It's just like a cop can't say where he'll be at during his shift because who knows what convenience store might get robbed or, in the case of The Honeymooners, what house he may have to visit due to a domestic violence call.

All that aside, I'm pretty frantic right now.

Husband is deployed.
Wife moved back in with parents in Massachusetts.
Wife has a full-time job where she is also completing her student internship for her M.Ed.
Husband is coming home early. 

This is tricky because I have to complete my internship hours and I already gave my notice with a certain time frame. (I wanted the school to know what was up as soon as I did so I didn't burn any bridges for when we move back up here in a few years.)

Also tricky is that, due to OPSEC, families will not be informed of their soldiers actual return date until the soldiers are already on the flight home. We will only have roughly 12 hours notice but are given a four-week time frame of possible return dates. It means that I need to have an extremely flexible schedule, which is the crux of the problem.

I don't have an extremely flexible schedule.

My dad, great guy that he is, volunteered to drive out with me so we could get there as fast as possible and I just pray he's not getting in even a day early because I don't know how we'll get there in time.

Stress is the word right now, which just hit a new high point on the Richter of scale of Personal Anxiety; unfortunately, the apartment we had set in stone? Not so much. They now say that we have to be in person to sign the lease and they can't accept any rent money or anything since we don't have a legally binding contract. What is especially frustrating is that they ALREADY ACCEPTED MONEY FROM ME and when I had called last week to make sure everything was guaranteed they said yes and then sent a letter saying we were set to move in as of April 1st. It's pretty screwy, but frankly, I really don't understand how Oklahoma works most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I will be PSYCHED to see my husband. It's just, I can't even imagine it's real yet and I'm focused right now on just wading through these messes that keep popping up this week.

I'm going shoe shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment