Thursday, August 26, 2010

Reversing Repression

Two years ago, right before I decided to quit my 9-5 and up and move to South Korea for a year-long teaching stint, I was gifted a book called The 4-Hour Workweek. I've never read it the whole way through, but I've gone back to it and read it piecemeal here and there.

I decided to really go back to it. It explores how to figure out what it is you really want in life, and then how to get there. It's not about creating a savings plan so you could do it all when you retire- it's about discovering how to live like you love it and enjoy your whole life.

I love the idea of it, and decidedly took this self-assessment quiz because I've really been at a crossroads and needed to re-focus. (It's basically copied straight from the book, I just cut some of it short.)

1. What would you do if there was no way you could fail? List up to five things you dream of having, of being, and of doing.

Having:

1.) Professional-grade camera
2.) Does laser hair removal count?
3.) A second vehicle for when the husband gets home
4.) An entirely new wardrobe, work appropriate but also some sexy, TONS of new shoes, a fabulous store of lingerie, chic purses and totes
5.) A new computer with Photoshop, Lightroom, photo editing software

Being:

1.) A better photographer
2.) More well-read
3.) Closer to my brothers, especially my middle before he deploys
4.) A yoga instructor

Doing:

1.) Travelling, by plane, to somewhere I've never been
2.) Collect Nana's memories of the family before it's too late
3.) Get married (again!) and have the most fun reception anyone's ever had
4.) Go to photography school

2. For all their bitching about what's holding them back, most people have a lot of trouble coming up with the defined dreams they're being held from. Consider these questions:

a. What would you do, day to day, if you had $100 million in the bank?
  • Kiss my husband and watch him get really excited about a new hobby or project.
  • Eat really good, really fresh food- strawberries, brie and french bread for breakfast....mmm....
  • Help someone who really needs it.
  • Wear incredibly gorgeous and yet somehow incredibly comfortable clothing.
  • Take Q for a hike.
  • Find some new place to explore.
  • Take and edit photos.

b. What would make you most excited to wake up in the morning to another day?

  • Knowing that my J was going to be happy and stress-free, which happens so rarely
  • Living in another country, someplace in Europe, and grabbing my camera before heading out to shoot something amazing I'll just stumble upon
  • Teaching children something really meaningful and inspiring

3. Fill in.

-one place to visit: Eastern Europe-Prague? Croatia? Romania?

-one thing to do before you die: climb up to Machu Picchu

-one thing to do daily: love on my little family

-one thing to do weekly: take a leisurely, relaxing bath

-one thing you've always wanted to learn: French


Whoa. I wasn't expecting some of that.

Three biggest things that I learned about myself from this exercise:

There was nothing in there about losing weight.

Most of these goals are really reachable. Really reachable.

I don't want to have a baby right now.



Yeah, whoa.


1 comment:

  1. This book sounds awesome!! I think I'm going to have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete