Saturday, November 24, 2012

Humbling.

My husband and I are lying around on the couch today watching terrible science fiction/conspiracy shows. We have built a nest out of our duvet and blankets and J, me, and the dog are all nuzzled up together.

Thanksgiving was wonderful, and now we're exhausted and taking a holiday after the holiday.

As we were lying here, he blurted, "You know what I'm thankful for? That we will never eat from black and yellow cans."

J remembers eating from these cans, which were the cheapest options available. (He calls it "welfare food".) They also had friends with farms who allowed him to come and pick food since they knew he couldn't afford it. He will say he had a great childhood and, in the same breath, talk about being poor.

I'm thankful for my husband, who humbles me and makes me stop, get my head out of the rat race, and appreciate our life.


No comments:

Post a Comment