Sunday, July 10, 2011

Outings and Mommy Issues

Yesterday was the All American Beef Battalion Barbecue for J's battalion.

The organization is made up of a bunch of volunteers who are connected to the cattle industry and, out of kindness, put on free cook-outs for soldiers. Isn't that really nice of them? What soldier would say no to free steak?

I usually like going to stuff like this. I like putting faces to the names I hear so often and I get to meet other spouses and play with babies. Everybody always complains about the "mandatory fun days" but I think it's similar to how you b*tch with the people around you during college freshman orientation. Like, "I would like to start talking with the people around me and make friends, but I want to look cool and indifferent, so I'll strike up conversation by complaining." And you know what? It works. Pretty much everyone I saw there complained, and then immediately made plans to hang out that night.

We invited some people over and it was a pretty packed apartment. It was crazy. Plus, it was so hot yesterday (108 F) that the kids were inside the whole time. I love kids so that was fine with me, but one of the parents seemed to really hate them. Like, out of control, constant screaming.

I know this is typical- a married lady without kids commenting on someone else's parenting style. I'm usually pretty laid-back and try to always keep in mind that I don't know everything that goes on behind closed doors, but both J and I were shocked by this one mama. When I say constant, I meant constant screaming. And it wasn't just at her kids. Her husband caught hell, too. I think I heard her say four sentences at a normal decibel range. Not only that, but I could see that her oldest already wants to rebel against her.

I'm not really sure what to do in this kind of situation. I mean, they are her kids. But her screeching was out of control and her husband, seemingly used to this, proceeded to get pretty wasted. (J also tells me he's usually an hour early to work every morning.)

What do you do in this situation? I feel like it's not my place to say anything, but keeping silent and still socializing makes me feel like an accessory to a crime.

Suggestions are appreciated.


1 comment:

  1. You can't really say anything about their parenting style. I mean,you could but I don't know how you are wanting this to end. It may be possible she was having a bad day but it does sound like her husband kind of shrugs it off. If it were something that never happens he may have taken the reigns. So, that being said, next time...yell at her!

    If they are in your house again you can mention the screaming and the thin apartment walls. It is your home, she may be a parent but she is not in her own territory. Manners.

    ReplyDelete